The Awakening Update 26

Page 7 of my HAED, The Awakening is now finished.  The sun is sparkly but it doesn’t show up very well in the photo unfortunately.  It’s stitched using Kreinik.  The #4 braid which the pattern suggested I use turned out to be quite thick and to do a full cross using one strand of this looked too thick against the one strand of normal thread used for the rest of the design.  I’m sure the Kreinik isn’t supposed to be split into strands but I found if you are careful you can split it up into 4 strands.  So I used a two strand width to make it roughly the same width as the normal thread.  Unfortunately this then resulted in it frequently getting very tangled up and shredding fluff.  Eventually I found that using just one of the four strands was easier, but going over each cross twice to make it a double thickness.

After asking about the Kreinik on some cross stitch forums I found that some people use the blending filament which is thinner, but i’m not convinced that it would be as sparkly.  Some people also do just a half cross stitch with the Kreinik #4 braid, but having tried this I found that it didn’t look good next to the full crosses that I am doing for the rest of the piece.

Anyway, here is the picture of my progress so far.

 

Advertisements

Lilies

Although this is primarily a cross stitch blog I like to show you other art and craft projects that i’m working on.  This is my latest drawing, of some lilies, drawn using coloured pencils.  Unfortunately I don’t think my camera is good enough to make the photo look like the real life drawing, but it’s the best I can do.  The real life one has brighter colours.